Well friends, it seems the cold front has lifted and let me just tell you… it’s HOT, HOT, HOT outside! Have you watched the weather my friends? While it may be cool inside your air conditioned home, the barn has been a living sauna for the past few days and it looks like things will only be heating up over the weekend!
This means only one thing of course! Bring your horses inside the house! (I kid, I kid) Maybe perhaps you want to bring your air conditioner out to the stalls to keep your horses a bit more comfortable? No? You think not? Well, harumph… but anyway… here are a few ways to help your equine friends beat the heat.
-Provide lots of fresh, cool, water. Yeah, I know that its obvious, but its really important!
– Keep your horses inside in a ventilated barn, or let them outside and provide shade. No one wants to be trapped out in the hot sun or in a stuffy barn with the temperatures rising!
– Consider installing fans in your barn to help keep the air circulating.
– Provide free choice salt and electrolytes to your horse. This will help to keep your horse in chemical balance and make sure that your horse is super healthy!
– Make sure to use PLENTY of fly spray on your four-legged friends! The bugs will drive them BATTY and make them move far more then they may want to in the weather.
– Providing cool water baths throughout the day will help to cool down your horses. Feeling generous? Hook up a sprinkler in the pasture and watch your horses learn to love it?
– Still feeling the need to ride? Make sure that you do it early in the day or late in the evening to be as nice as possible!
What are your tips of the trade?